As we move closer to the Chase, each event (only 2 left) becomes do or die for some drivers and teams. This week we are at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. Here are some details about the event:
- Event: Pepsi 500
- Date / Time: Sunday, Aug. 31 at 8 p.m. EDT
- Track: Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
- Configuration: 2-mile D-shaped oval (250 laps = 500 miles)
- Banking in Corners: 14 degrees
- Banking on Frontstretch: 11 degrees
- Banking on Backstretch: 3 degrees
- Frontstretch: 3,100 feet
- Backstretch: 2,500 feet
- Grandstand Seating Capacity: 92,100
Tickets are still available for this event and can be purchased from the track website. I checked the availability and there are good seats still available for a reasonable amount.
Hendrick Motorsports teammates Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Jimmie Johnson are expected to qualify for the "Chase" when they leave California, as both drivers only need to finish 40th or better. Earnhardt, Jr. is third in points, and Johnson is fourth.
Be sure to check back for qualifying times and race results.